Did you know that many of the most common furnace problems are preventable with the right kind of maintenance on your heating system? Taking steps now to keep your furnace running smoothly will greatly reduce the chance of your furnace breaking down this winter. Today we’re going to talk about furnace preventive maintenance and how it can help you avoid issues related to your system’s performance, efficiency, and safety!
Your part in furnace preventive maintenance: Changing your air filter
Although most preventive maintenance tasks will be performed by Jerry Kelly Heating & Air Conditioning during your annual furnace tune-up, one of the most important tasks needs to be done by you: changing your air filter. By regularly changing the filter in your furnace, you can prevent major efficiency issues and dirt buildup on your system, both of which can lead to future breakdowns and performance problems.
Our part in furnace preventive maintenance: A professional furnace tune-up
Scheduling your annual furnace tune-up is the single most important thing you can do to prevent problems with your heating system. By getting a professional tune-up from Jerry Kelly Heating & Air Conditioning, you can avoid:
- Dirt buildup. Dirt is one of your furnace’s biggest enemies. If it builds up on your system components, it can reduce your furnace’s efficiency and prevent it from operating properly. During a tune-up, we’ll clean all of the vital parts of your system and help prevent many of the common problems associated with dirt and debris.
- Carbon monoxide leaks. Whether it’s from a cracked heat exchanger or an impaired flue vent, a carbon monoxide (CO) leak can threaten the safety of you and your family. During a tune-up, we’ll fully inspect your system for any problems that could cause CO to leak into your home’s air.
- Fire hazards. Because your furnace is a fuel-burning appliance, it can be a fire hazard if it’s not operating properly. That’s why we inspect your system for problems like frayed and damaged electrical wires that could lead to a house fire.
- Efficiency problems. Many homeowners who don’t have a tune-up performed on their furnaces are surprised when the cold weather hits and they receive an abnormally high heating bill. A tune-up will take care of any problems with your system that are affecting its efficiency, which will help you avoid costly utility bills this winter.
- Preventable breakdowns. As we mentioned above, many of the things that cause furnace breakdowns could have been addressed during a tune-up. When we perform tasks like tightening up your furnace’s connections, lubricating moving parts, and cleaning your system components, the likelihood of your furnace breaking down this winter will be drastically reduced.
If you have any questions about preventive maintenance for your furnace, or if you’d like a heating system serviced or installed in your home, contact Jerry Kelly Heating & Air Conditioning, your Saint Charles, MO, heating and cooling contractor. We service the St. Louis area, including towns like Clayton, Cottleville, and Creve Coeur.
photo credit: DayLove via photopin cc