Your furnace is a complicated system with many interworking parts, so there are all kinds of reasons why it might start to malfunction. But of those many possible problems, there is a handful that we encounter out in the field much more frequently than the rest. Today we’re going to talk about some of the most common furnace repairs that we perform on St. Louis area homes so that you know what to expect if any of these issues come up in your home!
6 common furnace repairs
- Replacing the air filter. You’d be surprised how many service calls we make where the issue is that the homeowner was unknowingly running his or her furnace with a clogged filter. Replacing the dirty filter with a clean one can instantly solve major airflow, efficiency, and comfort issues. If your furnace has been running for a long time with a dirty filter, we might also need to clean and/or repair some additional components after replacing the filter.
- Repairing the ignition. Depending on the age and efficiency of your furnace, your system will use one of two different components to light its burners: either a pilot light or an electronic ignition. If your system uses a pilot light, the light can blow out or begin to burn inefficiently. You can relight a pilot light on your own, but if it burns out frequently or is not burning bright blue, it will need to be looked at by Jerry Kelly Heating & Air Conditioning. Problems can also arise with electronic ignitions that will require a repair or replacement. No matter which type of ignition you have, problems with this component will prevent your furnace from starting up properly.
- Cleaning dirty burners. Your furnace’s burners gather dirt over time, especially if you do not get annual tune-ups or frequently change your air filter. Dirty burners will cause your system to operate inefficiently, and can also be a safety hazard. If your burners are dirty, Jerry Kelly Heating & Air Conditioning will remove, clean, and reinstall them in your system.
- Replacing cracked heat exchangers. If your furnace’s heat exchanger has a crack, carbon monoxide can leak into your home’s air. This is a very dangerous problem, and it needs to be taken care of as quickly as possible. Jerry Kelly Heating & Air Conditioning uses special equipment to identify heat exchanger cracks, and we will replace your heat exchangers if we find any.
- Fixing fan problems. Your furnace’s fan is one of its hardest working components. So after many years of use, some of the fan’s parts (such as the bearings, belt, and motor) can wear out and break down. By repairing your fan, we can balance your home’s airflow and ensure that you are receiving warm air in every room of the house.
- Repairing or replacing the thermostat. Your thermostat is the control center that tells your furnace when to turn on and off. If your thermostat is malfunctioning or getting improper readings of your home’s temperature, your home can quickly become very uncomfortable. Jerry Kelly Heating & Air Conditioning will inspect and test your thermostat and determine whether the issue can be repaired or if you need a new thermostat.
If you have any questions about these common furnace repairs, or if you’d like a heating system serviced or installed in your home, contact Jerry Kelly Heating & Air Conditioning, your St. Charles, MO, furnace repair and installation company. We service the St. Louis area, including towns like Ladue, Lake St. Louis, and Manchester, MO.