Imagine if your car only had one speed; it was either stopped or going 70mph. As crazy as that sounds, standard blower motors work the same way. Luckily, St. Louis area homeowners have the option to install a variable speed blower motor to cool their homes gradually and precisely.
What is a variable speed blower motor?
When we’re talking about a variable speed blower motor, we’re specifically talking about the blower motor inside of the blower motor. The blower motor is responsible for blowing air over your air conditioner’s evaporator coils to be cooled and distributed throughout your home.
A standard blower motor only has one speed; it is either fully on or fully off. A variable-speed blower motor, on the other hand, operates at a wide range of speeds, depending on how much air is needed to cool your home. A variable-speed blower motor is also continuously running, allowing air to always be circulated throughout your home.
What are the benefits of a variable-speed blower motor?
- Energy efficient. Even though a variable speed blower motor is always running, it is often running at a low level. This uses less energy than a standard blower motor because it rarely needs to use its highest speed.
- Better comfort control. Unlike a standard blower motor, which delivers a blast of cool air when it turns on, a variable-speed blower motor gradually cools your home. This allows for fewer temperature swings and a more consistent feeling of comfort.
- A good match for a zoning system. A variable-speed blower motor works very well with a zoning system because it can precisely deliver the amount of air that’s needed for each zone in your home. This results in fewer hot and cold spots along with less energy consumption.
- Quiet. Because it is usually running at a low level, a variable-speed blower motor is much quieter than a standard blower motor.
- Better for indoor air quality. A variable-speed blower motor is always on, which means air is constantly passing through your air filter and dehumidifier. This can significantly improve your home’s indoor air quality because more particles and moisture are removed from your air regularly.
If you have any questions about a variable speed blower motor, or if you’d like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Jerry Kelly Heating & Air Conditioning, your St. Louis area heating and cooling company.